Sunday, 24 April 2011

Why walk when u can run!


my first run 
Few weeks ago, I started joining fun run. A friend of mine invited me to join the Kapuso Fun Run in MOA. Doubted I was if my stamina for running is still up (since I am a heavy smoker) I still decided to join the pack. More than anything else I was so excited to see celebrities do the running with the sweat and all that. The whole plan is to enroll for 3K distance running. Come the last day of registration, much to my surprise the only available slot is the 5K and 10K. Pressured I was with the commitment; I booked myself with 5K.





 On that event, my qualm started to chill me. With the distance that I am going to complete, no work out and I was so freaking starving.  I asked my friend to exchange race number to take over my lope while I will finish the 3K which he willingly accepted.



During the course, I noticed a lot of people are really enjoying not for the sake of winning. I was amaze by these people, with all the juices wilting from there very pores, they strive hard to complete the sprint.  While I, on the other side of the lane, complaining on the long journey to finish the race. I was even more surprise when I saw kids ages 7-12 years old and lolos and lolas passing me. How shameful it was to see them pacing behind you. Will anyway my insecurity was satiated with Kapuso stars around me. This makes me feel they were my jogging buddy.





I successfully reached the finish line in 29 minutes and 22 seconds and registered 862 out of 1,983 runners.  And who said I ran, nope I just walked with few jogs.  At least I accomplished the race which I actually feared beforehand. 


  








This week, I concluded another fun run in Manila, “Run with the Masters”.  This time I didn’t complain instead I challenged myself for a shorter time.  And yup, I did in 19 minutes and 44 sec.



Now I appreciate running not only because it helps me release the stress, I am also having fun running and fun watching others running (read between the lines) ;) Here are the pros and cons of this fitness craze.



PROS

Running is easy, anyone can do it. You don’t have to be an athlete to join this kind of marathon. Second, it is rejuvenating. Just imagine the fresh morning air you are going to intake to your lungs. For a call center agent like me, it is very rare to smell and feel the morning breeze and to be stroke by the radiance of the sunrise.  It will improve cardiovascular and muscular system that will help you a lot in your endurance fitness. Not only that, it will also help transport oxygen and nutrients to your brain. Studies shows running have psychological benefits. Running has been used as treatment for curing clinical depressions and addictions. Since the body gets strength, the mind becomes more focused and determined.

  

CONS

Running can cause overuse injuries to joints, including the ankle, knee, hip, and lumbar vertebrae of the lower back. Mostly for people who are overweight. One notable thing is it is weather dependent. Lucky if you have enrolled to a fitness gym where you can settle for treadmill but rainy days is a big obstacle. You may also find a lot of excuses like it is too hot, too wet and too cold. Since running is advised as a morning activity, waking up early is the hardest thing to do. Trust me, been there, done that. It will really require immense amount of discipline.

This month, my feet will march on the pavement of Fort Bonifacio finishing Goldilocks 45th Anniversary Fun Run on May 15, 2011. Brooks Run Happy on May 22 and I Run for Integrity on the 29th. So why walk, when you start running!

No comments:

Post a Comment